Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Underlying Music

How odd that I forgot to make a post yesterday. I don't know what I could have been doing to make me forget to write a post.

So while I was in Hawaii, I bought a ukulele. I had been planning it for months ahead, so it wasn't an impulse buy. I had only forgotten one thing, and that was to find a chord chart so that I might be able to practice while I was still on vacation. So I spent a day or two mindlessly strumming, before I realized that I was in Hawaii. Then I went downstairs and found a nice arrangement of How To Play Ukulele books with lovely chord charts in the back for me to pick from. Makes sense I'd be able to find such things so readily available.

I learned how to strum along to Amazing Grace before I realized that the book I picked out was bunk, and went from exceedingly simple chords to very advanced chords that went along with bogus songs the author made up just for the sake of having a song for that chord. So now I just keep the book around for referencing chords, since it has a positively gorgeous chord chart in the back.

I spent a good portion of today learning a song that was pretty much my whole reason for wanting a ukulele in the first place. It's not as hard as I thought it would be, just at the right level for someone like me. And I'm glad, I may be able to master it within the week. I just hope my fingers don't go raw from practicing, this is the first stringed instrument I've played where I strum with my bare hands.

Today, for some reason, my thoughts revolved around my cat. I still miss her terribly.

No comments: