Thursday, December 11, 2008

Epical

So you know how at sports games, someone will hold up a sign that says John 3:16? I've been wondering what that meant, and I've looked it up.

I had to pull out my dusty old Bible from back in the day. I've never actually looked someone up in this book before, actually, and I wasn't sure how to go about it. Despite attending a Christian school. But I found it.

For god so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
This made me think. Not about Jesus, but about how I need a passage from the Bible to call my own. Something that speaks to me. So I opened up to my favorite book, Leviticus. I've been reading and rereading it for a while now, and I really can't think of one passage that I like the best. All of it is really great. And perfectly absurd out of context. I especially like the ones that end with "I am the Lord," or "I am the Lord your God." I think that defines me well. But I think I've settled on one that I can stand strongly by, despite my lack of religious faith: Leviticus 18:19.

Do not approach a woman to have sexual relations during the uncleaness of her monthly period.
That's really something I believe in. For oh so many reasons.

I want to go on and quote some more of my favorite passages, but I'd just end up quoting the entire thing. I'm especially fond of the bits that make slavery okay, tell you not to eat pigs or chickens, describe who and what to not have sex with, and count the many different ways you can be unclean.

No comments: