Saturday, December 20, 2008

Huckleberry

KELLY, YOU HAVE AN ACCENT, ARE YOU FROM ENGLAND?
MY GOSH, YOU SCORED HIGH ON THAT TEST. SCHOOLS IN ENGLAND MUST BE REALLY GOOD!
SO KELLY, WHY DID YOU MOVE HERE FROM THE UK?

What? No. What? Stop saying these things.
Since when do I have an accent? Your ears must be off.
I was born in that hospital down the road. I've lived here ever since. Go away.

All my life. Why do people keep asking me these stupid things? I don't have an accent. Ask anyone from Europe. Kelly speaks like an American. So why do people assume I'm English?

And then I must type funny, too, because my apparant accent is leaking into the internet. Do I type like I'm British? I don't even know the difference between Britain and England. But I've managed to confuse more than one person into thinking I'm not quite American.

Is it because I say 'quite?' Is it?
Maybe it's because I say 'rather.' And 'bother.' And the occasional 'humbug.'

But I couldn't even tell you the difference between a pound and a pence. Agh.
(Perhaps it's because I was raised watching British comedies and reading English authors. And drinking tea. And eating crumpets. Hm.)

Also: I've spend most of my day today in a long battle with my computer. When it woke up today, it had decided it would clear away my desktop theme. A restart didn't fix the problem. A re-download of the theme did not fix the problem. So many different troubleshoots and so many different restarts. Finally downloading this one application fixed the problem. But then when I decided to open up the Desktop Properties window, it decided to glitch out and open a couple hundred Firefox windows, all leading to a Microsoft website telling me I could pay to install more desktop themes. Restart my computer two more times, and things are all quiet and set as they should be. For now.

Do you think my computer is rebelling because I wish to replace it with a laptop next week?

No comments: