Saturday, August 15, 2009

Oynop

I went to Wild Waves yesterday with a few of my friends, and we had a pretty grand time. I'm usually not one for water parks, but I do love the roller coasters. I feel bad that I held everyone back when it came to the water rides, though. It was a cold day, and I started turning blue pretty fast. So when they would want to go ride rides, I'd want to huddle in a towel with a warm drink, and try to stop shivering. Afterwards we had dinner and slept at my place. I think it turned out to be a nice little goodbye before I leave for Montana.

Last week, I noticed that sodas tasted different, and not quite as delicious as I'm used to. When I commented on this to my mother, she said that I probably have a sinus infection. I thought on that for a little bit, but I'm pretty sure I've had a sinus infection for the past two years. So who knows.

It is worth noting that I have a very poor sense of smell. It is still there, but I can't smell most of the things other people can. The things I usually do smell are unpleasant, and I often perceive scents differently than most people. For example: The smell of tempura carrots makes me utterly sick, while most find it delicious. I can smell bad BO, but I tend to miss out on a nice-smelling garden.

A couple days ago I woke up to the most nostalgic smells I could possibly imagine. It smelled like morning. It hasn't smelled like morning in so long I forgot that it even had a different smell. It took almost no time at all to realize I had my normal sense of smell back. I was elated when the hot sun caused the garbage to stink up the kitchen, and when wafts of old food came from the microwave. These aren't exactly pleasant smells, but they're things I haven't experienced in years. The food I ate had a lot more flavor to it, and I realized that sodas tasting weird was because I was starting to smell them again.

Needless to say, I had a really good day that day. Unfortunately, my sense of smell started to dwindle again near the end of the day. By the next morning, everything was back to being plain. I can't stop thinking back to that morning, now. Just getting out of bed and feeling that huge wave of nostalgia... I had never felt so at home before.

Sadly, even though I've gone back to not have a sense of smell, sodas still taste awful.

No comments: